Adding brightly colored herbs to tea infusions always adds a bit of cheer to the day. Think of cornflowers, hibiscus, rose and calendula - even when dried these petals retain their lovely colors...
I concocted the following recipe -- a delicious & bright turmeric oxymel -- in the spirit of bringing more color into my life. If you haven't made one before, oxymels are simply a combination of vinegar & honey infused with herbs.
Turmeric is a wonderful health tonic that benefits the whole body in many ways, and it is especially good for supporting healthy digestion and liver function. It is renowned for its anti-inflammatory properties and helps to protect and invigorate the liver. This is a delightful food/medicine for spring-time wellness!
LIVER-LOVING TURMERIC OXYMEL:
4 Tblsp. powdered turmeric OR 3 Tblsp. fresh grated turmeric
1 Tblsp. crushed black peppercorn
1 Tblsp. crushed cardamom pods
apple cider vinegar
pint-sized glass jar
- Add together the turmeric, black pepper and cardamom in a pint-sized glass jar.
- Cover halfway with apple cider vinegar, and fill the rest of the jar with honey.
- Place a piece of wax paper over the jar before capping to prevent corrosion of the metal lid. Let steep at least 2 weeks.
- Strain out the herbs, bottle and label.
- Use on salads, roasted vegetables, or enjoy by the spoonful!